BOVILIS BVD 12 MONTH PROTECTION > FACT-SHEET
PROTECT YOUR HERD AND THE NEXT GENERATION FROM BVD
Use Bovilis® BVD for 12 months of proven fetal protection*
The longest coverage available.
* Following a third dose (annual vaccination) Bovilis BVD provides 12 months fetal protection.
BOVINE VIRAL DIARRHOEA (BVD) HAS BEEN SHOWN TO CAUSE:
- Reduction in overall pregnancy rate
- Reproductive losses such as early embryonic death, abortion and birth defects
- III Thrift
- Slower growth rates
- Increase in disease and illness because of reduced immunity
- Reduced milk production
PERSISTENTLY INFECTED CATTLE (PIS) ARE THE MAIN SOURCE OF BVD
PIs can form when infection with BVD virus occurs in utero, between approximately 45 – 120 days of gestation.
PIs shed high levels of BVD virus for their entire life, infecting naïve cattle. PIs can be within a herd, or may only have intermittent (ie over the fence) contact with the herd to spread BVD.
MOST FARMS ARE ‘AT RISK’ OF PI CONTACT
Common management practices:
Between farm nose-to-nose contact
This correlated with the number of neighbouring farms and sharing cattle yards.
Onto farm movement of cows and heifers
It was common practice for animals to be introduced onto the farm annually, or sent away for grazing.
Reference: Han, JH et al (2020). Modelling the economics of bovine viral diarrhoea virus control in pastoral dairy and beef cattle herds. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 182. 105092
APPROXIMATELY 1 IN 20 FARMS HAS A BVD INCURSION EACH YEAR 1
BVD reduces fertility, milk production and growth rate and costs New Zealand approximately $150 million annually 2.
It is estimated that at any one time,
are actively infected with BVD.
1 MC Gates, JH Han, CA Evans, JF Weston & C Heuer (2019). Assessing the use of diagnostic laboratory accession data to support national bovine viral diarrhoea control in New Zealand. New Zealand Veterinary Journal.
2 Han, JH et al (2020). Modelling the economics of bovine viral diarrhoea virus control in pastoral dairy and beef cattle herds. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 182. 105092
BOVILIS BVD IS THE ONLY BVD VACCINE WITH A 12 MONTH FETAL PROTECTION CLAIM 1
Different brands of vaccine have demonstrated different durations of fetal protection
The key to BVD control is protecting the fetus and preventing PI calves being born
Bovilis BVD provides 6 months of fetal protection following the initial two doses and 12 months of fetal protection following a third dose.
Bovilis BVD’s 12 month fetal protection covers this year’s unborn calves regardless of when they are conceived.
VACCINATION IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF MOST CONTROL PLANS
6 important things to know about Bovilis BVD
- The only BVD vaccine with a 12 month fetal protection claim 1.
- Extended primary dosing interval of 4 weeks to 6 months between the initial sensitiser and booster shots.
- Convenient 10, 25 and 50 dose presentations.
- Intramuscular or subcutaneous administration.
- Unused vaccine can be used for up to 2 weeks after opening (when stored at 2 to 8°C).
- No adverse effect on milk production, and safe for use in pregnant cows.
1 Following a third dose (annual vaccination) Bovilis BVD provides 12 months fetal protection.
SPEAK TO YOUR VET ABOUT A BVD MANAGEMENT STRATEGY
- Test the herd
- Eliminate PIs
- Assess biosecurity
- Vaccinate with Bovilis BVD
- Monitor the herd
WHEN TESTING TO FIND AND CULL PIS IS PART OF YOUR CONTROL PLAN, TRUST ALLFLEX TISSUE SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY
To identify PIs, you can test blood, milk or skin samples for BVD virus. Tissue sampling units (TSU) are a user-friendly way to take a skin sample.
High antibody levels in bulk milk or blood samples from groups of cattle indicate recent or active exposure to BVD.
New Zealand’s TSUs of choice are made by Allflex (MSD Animal Health Intelligence)
- Fast, clean, convenient
- Farmers can take the sample at calf tagging
- The same sample may be able to be used for BVD and genetic testing – discuss with the testing laboratory
- Sealed sample to eliminate contamination
- Sample can be paired to electronic and visual tags
WHEN VACCINATION IS PART OF YOUR CONTROL PLAN, TRUST BOVILIS BVD
The only BVD vaccine with a 12 month fetal protection claim *.
The key to BVD control is protecting the fetus to prevent PI calves being formed.
NZ’s LEADING BVD VACCINE **
* Following a third dose (annual vaccine) Bovilis BVD provides 12 months fetal protection.
** Baron Market Data Q2 2022.
Top Farmers Know-How provides a reference library of industry best practice in some key animal health management areas including mastitis, dry off, calf health, BVD, salmonella and campylobacter. We know that farmers and vets are busy people, so we’ve created resources in different formats and in bite-sized chunks to make it more flexible and accessible.